Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
· 1 1/3 cup warm water
· 2 teaspoons sugar
· 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
· 4 cups all purpose flour
· 2 Tablespoons Spicecraft Kiwi Rub (Optional)
· 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
· 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1. Add warm water and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough attachment, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water. Give the yeast a quick stir to mix it in with the water. Then let it sit for 5-10 minute until the yeast is foamy.
2. Turn the mixer onto low speed, and add gradually flour, Kiwi Rub, olive oil and salt. Increase speed to medium-low, and continue mixing the dough for 5 minutes. (If the dough is too sticky and isn’t pulling away from the sides of the bowl, add in an extra 1/4 cup flour while it is mixing.) It is a quite wet dough though, so don’t add to much flour.
3. Grease another bowl with olive oil or cooking spray, then place the dough in this bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Place in a warm location and let it rise for 45-60 minutes, or until the dough has nearly doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C. Turn the dough onto a greased baking tray, and using your hands push it out to make a large rectangle, until the dough is about 1/2-inch thick. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic wrap, and let the dough continue to rise for another 10 minutes, then push the dough out further on the tray (using your hands), leave to rise for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove the plastic wrap, using your fingers poke deep dents (seriously, poke all the way down to the baking tray!) all over the surface of the dough. Then drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil evenly all over the top of the dough, and then grind generously with Spicecraft Original Salt Rocks. ( Or any of our Salts or Rubs for a different flavour).
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough is slightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with a little more olive oil if desired.
7. Slice, and serve warm.